- Past Summits
- Contact Us
- DSI Home
Autonomous Capabilities for DoD Summit
September 26- 27, 2017 | The Mary M. Gates Learning Center, Alexandria, VA
DSI’s Autonomous Capabilities for DoD Summit is designed as an educational and training “Town Hall” forum, where thought leaders and key policy-makers across DoD and civilian organizations, industry and academia can come together for actionable discussions and debate.
CONFIRMED SPEAKERS INCLUDE:
- Mr. Dyke Weatherington, (DASD) for Space, Strategic & Intel Systems (SSI), OUSD AT&L
- Mr. Frank Kelley, DASN, UxS (ASN (RDA))
- Dr. Willam Roper, Director, Strategic Capabilities Office, OSD
- Mr. Shawn Turskey, Executive Director, USCYBERCOM
- Dr. Greg Zacharias, Chief Scientist, USAF
- Col Drew Coker, USMC, Chief, Algorithmic Warfare
- Cross Function Team, ISR Directorate, Warfighter Support, OUSD (I)
- Dr. Robert Sadowski, SES, Army Chief Roboticist, TARDEC (ASA ALT)
- Mr. Kenneth Bray, SES, Civilian Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff
- for ISR, HQAF
- Dr. Greg Zacharias, Chief Scientist, USAF
- Mr. James Harris, CTO, DIA
- Dr. Brain Sadler, Senior Research Scientist (ST) for
- Intelligent Systems, ARL
See agenda for full speaker roster and topics
- The release over the last year of such reports as The DSB’ Summer Study on Autonomy and various Service and Joint Staff reports all acknowledge the growth and advancements occurring in autonomous capabilities (machine-learning, neural networking, etc…) and the need to enhance their applications towards DoD systems. Current advocacy out of the Dep SecDef’s office to apply autonomous capabilities rapidly to DoD systems only re-emphasizes the focus of the Department towards this topic.
The more precise questions now evolve towards how do you structure requirements and acquisition for autonomous capabilities that are often times a software solutions being applied to a hardware platform? What are the precise applications that the respective Services are looking at for their near and far term mission needs?
- How do you design a testing and evaluation, verifying and validation program that overcomes the inherent challenges associated with the non deterministic nature of these capabilities?
- These, and many other questions will be the focus of the Summit. DSI will bring together various senior leaders across DoD organizations and within the respective Services, along with academia and industry for two days of off the record, non attribution discussions and dialogue in a ‘Town Hall’ format.
2017 TOPICS TO INCLUDE:
- -Achieving and applying levels of machine-learning and narrow AI to DoD systems at-rest and in-motion across all physical and non physical domain systems and platforms:
- from unmanned systems to cyber, analytics and ISR applications
- -Structuring requirements and acquisition for autonomous capabilities
- – Understanding the unique potentials for mission applications across the Services and various departments
- -Shifting the TEVV paradigm for autonomous capabilities
- – Integrating counter-autonomy
- – Strengthening the operation pull for autonomy
- – Current research and advancements in the supporting technical fields of machine-learning / AI
Operating Guidance for Government Attendees
- DSI’s Summit directly supports DoD and Government priorities by providing a conduit for officials to efficiently reach audiences outside of their respective offices that directly impact their department’s mission success; at no charge to the government; and in an efficient expenditure of time.
- DSI’s Summit will provide a forum to address and improve internal and external initiatives; meet with and hear from partner organizations; disseminate vital capability requirements to industry; increase visibility within the larger community; and generally support their mission.
- The Summit is open and complimentary to all DoD and Federal employees and is considered an educational and training forum.
- (Industry and academia members are charged a fee for admission)
- Summit is CLOSED TO PRESS / NO RECORDINGS / OPEN TO U.S. and FVEY Nation’s CITIZENS ONLY
Exhibit and Sponsorship Information:
This Summit offers several distinct opportunities for a few organizations to demonstrate their technologies or solutions that address the Summit subject matter, or to partake in a thought leadership role. If you are an organization that would like to learn more about how you can be involved, please visit us at:
1. DSI’s Autonomous Capabilites for DoD Summit is a unique forum that allows for personnel from across the Services and respective DoD Departments, Industry and Academia to convene in one location. Our “Town Hall” format is designed to encourage challenging discussion and dialogue among all in attendance.
2. By keeping our forum off-the record and non-attribution, we allow for a level of stream of consciousness and shared ideas and thoughts to flow freely. Our agendas cover the most current priorities and strive to achieve actionable takeaways for all in attendance.
3. We limit our attendance size in order to allow everyone a chance to actively participate in the discussions and to mix and mingle with each other easily over the two days we are together.
We encourage you to explore our site more, give us a call if you have any questions, and we hope to welcome you in September!
2017 SPONSORS & EXHIBITORS
DSI strives to provide the most up to date, mission relevant, topics and discussion points for our meetings. In order to assure that we are providing the best subject content possible, our Advisory Board Members have volunteered to share their respective insight and expertise with us. We are truly grateful to have their support and guidance as we strive to continually create truly effective meetings and events for all. Learn more about our Advisory Board Members.